Thursday, February 4, 2010

Turkey, Spinach and Feta Invention...

My husband brought home some organic ground turkey. After a quick look in the fridge I found a large pack of organic baby spinach and feta cheese. Googling the ingredients brought back nothing but "feta-turkey burger" results that are "so perfect for your summer grilling". It's February out there! But I really liked the combination of the ingredients and here is how the recipe was born. I am not sure what I should call it... Turkey Mini Meatloaves, Turkey "Hats", Winter Turkey Burgers? I didn't measure anything. Cooking is a form of art for me. But for all of you out there who need "directions" I'll do my best to estimate what went in there.

This recipe is quick, nutritious and healthy. If you know me you also know that I don't have time for time consuming fancy meals, but the final result looked fancy and tasted great.

You'll need a muffin pan (non stick if you have it) lightly greased with Olive Oil (I used Organic Olive Oil spray)

For the Mini Meatloaves:

Ground Turkey - about 1.5 Lbs
Spinach - about 4 cups of fresh (cooked, chopped and squeezed dry)
or 1 pack of frozen chopped spinach (squeezed dry)
Feta Cheese - about 1 cup
Lemon Juice - 1 Tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste
You can add paprika if you want- feel free to experiment with quantities and ingredients!

For the Sauce (the sauce is optional if you short on time, ingredients or just feel lazy):

1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Small bunch of Parsley (optional), chopped
You can add some celery or cilantro - experiment!
1 Tbsp of flour
2 Tbsp of butter
1 cup of Organic Half and Half
Spinach - about 4 cups of fresh (cooked, chopped and squeezed dry)
or 1 pack of frozen chopped spinach (squeezed dry)
About 3 Tbsp of Dijon Mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mini Meatloaves:

Just mix up all the ingredients, fill up the muffin pan and bake at 350 for about 30 min. Now you can really appreciate the speed and simplicity of this!

Sauce:
Heat butter in a non stick frying pan, add chopped onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic, flour, and herbs (if using) and cook a bit longer. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Add cream, mustard and heat through. Avoid boiling. Use a blender (I used a hand held blender) or a food processer to bring the sauce to a smooth consistency. You can thin it with more cream if desired.

Serve your minis with the sauce on top (or without- it will be pretty juicy) and your favorite grain on the side. We went for buckwheat, but I am sure quinoa or rice would go well too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment